You’re walking down the toy aisle when you spot model kits for adults. You stop to check them out but are not sure what to buy. Model kits are typically marketed towards kids, which means they often come with small pieces and fiddly bits that can be difficult for adults to use without frustration. But don’t worry – I got your back! In this article, I will give you a buyer’s guide on model kits for adults to make your decision easier. I also review some of our favorite models so that you can get an idea of what is available on the market today!
The world of model kits can be overwhelming, and it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement, but before you dive into your first kit, some things need consideration.
What are the characteristics to search for when purchasing a model kit?
A factor worth considering is whether this particular brand has been established with high-quality material and sturdy design – otherwise known as “brand name” products. These kits typically come highly recommended by others.
Supplies and Materials Required
Modeling tools help with assembly and painting, while the glue is essential to hold it together. The paints, putties, or other mediums required for final touches should also be detailed. Be sure to have those ready before beginning!
Skill level must match your own level of comfort. All model kits should also have a skill or difficulty level (1 to 5, with 1 being the easiest and 5 being the most difficult).
Reviews can be a helpful tool in determining the quality of a kit and may even shed light on the model’s complexity.
It’s critical to select a suitable model kit for your interests since you’ll be investing numerous hours into constructing it. I’ve organized this list of kits by subject for you to make this simple.
The vast majority of best suited for adults since they need a lot of sharp instruments (like sprue nippers), strong chemicals, and a certain degree of perseverance.
Top Model Kit Categories
Most importantly, think about what type of models are best suited to your skills? For those just starting out in a model building, or for those looking for something different from their typical building experience, such as model trains – try starting small!
You can use the table of contents to find what you are looking for. Click on “Content” at the top.
Model Car Kits
Model Truck Kits
Semi Truck Model Kits
Model Plane Kits
Model Ship Kits
Click on this link for more of our favorite model ship kits.
Model Tank Kits
Click on this link for more of our favorite model tank kits.
Engine Model Kits
Click on this link for more of our favorite engine model kits.
Star Wars Model Kits
Star Trek Model Kits
Bandai Model Kits
Metal Model Kits
Wood Model Kits
Realistic Castle Model Kits
Architectural Model Kits
38 Top Model Kits for Adults – Review
AMT 1968 Chevy Camaro
Looking for a challenging and rewarding project? Look no further than the AMT 1968 Chevy Camaro Z/28 1:25 Scale Model Kit! This scale replica is perfect for experienced builders and comes complete with accurate details and easy-to-follow instructions. So get ready to put your skills to the test and create a work of art that you can be proud of!
- Detailed Instructions Included
- Easy to Build
- Paints and Glue Required
- The decals are incredibly fragile and have a tendency to tear
Toyota Tom's Supra GT
This Toyota Tom’s Supra GT is the perfect static display model for any racing enthusiast! It’s ready to assemble and accurately reproduced, with complete exterior and cockpit detailing. It also comes with solid synthetic rubber slick racing tires for a realistic look and feels. So don’t wait any longer; order your Toyota Tom’s Supra GT today!
- Great detail
- Parts fit together perfectly
- Accurate decals
Dodge Challenger SRT8 2010 1:25
Now you can own your very own replica of the Dodge Challenger SRT8! This is an excellent kit for adults – it’s ready to assemble and is incredibly detailed. The suspension, chassis underside, and exterior are all accurately reproduced, and there’s even complete cockpit detailing. Plus, the synthetic rubber slick racing tires give it an authentic look and feel. So if you’re a fan of the Dodge Challenger or just want a fantastic display model to show off, this is the kit for you!
- Low Price
- Easy Assembly
- Factory SRT Wheels
- Rear Spoiler
- It is a little more challenging to assemble than some other kits
Subaru Impreza WRC 2001, Inc 1/24 Tamiya America
Subaru Impreza WRC 2001. This kit is excellent for beginners and experienced collectors alike! It features excellent little details, like the silver stickers for the brake lights and the reflective metal stickers for the mirrors and emblem. Unlike other kits, the hood pins are separate pieces, which can be challenging to paint and mask. The decals are a bit fussy, but they can look great on your model car collection with a bit of patience.
- Detailed replica of the real car
- Comes with stickers and decals for added realism
- Wheels and tires are made from durable rubber
- Some parts are fragile and can easily be broken if not handled carefully
With this easy snap-together assembly, you can have your very own 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor in no time! No gluing or painting needed-just like the real thing. It’s fully capable of taking on the highway, downtown streets, and muddy backwoods tracks. Wherever the day takes you, the Raptor will take you there.
- Looks great when finished
- Very easy to assemble
- Tire size is inaccurate and too small
Foose Ford FD-100 Pickup
Now you can build your own Foose Ford FD-100 Pickup Plastic Model Kit! This 78-piece kit includes solid axles for extra strength, independent front suspension and coil-over rear suspension, and dual exhaust. Plus, the transparent red and clear pieces give it that signature Foose look. Requires paint, glue, and tools (sold separately).
- Nicely detailed kit
- Easy to assemble
- Comes with a lot of extras
- Good value for the money
- Some parts are fragile and can easily break
Ford Pick-Up, AMT858
Looking for a challenging and rewarding build? Look no further than the Ford Pick-Ups AMT858! This highly accurate scale model kit will test your skills but provides very detailed instructions and decals/transfers to help you along the way. With a bit of patience and some elbow grease, you’ll have a beautiful finished product to be proud of. So roll up your sleeves and get ready to tackle one of the best builds around!
- Detailed instructions provided
- Accurate scale model
- May require paints and glues to assemble
- Decals/transfers included
- Very nice build when completed
- The truck bed and front end suspension had a decent amount of fitting issues
Looking for a challenging and rewarding modeling project? Look no further than the Kenworth W-900 Plastic Model kit! This highly detailed model is perfect for advanced builders and includes illustrated multilingual assembly instructions with extensive directions. Suitable for ages 12 and up, this kit is sure to provide hours of enjoyment. So get ready to take on one of the most impressive truck models around!
- Many detailed parts
- The cab is accurately represented
- Chrome is well done
- Kit suitable for ages 12 to adult
- Some parts are not molded correctly
- Instructions are not very clear
AMT White Freightliner 2-in-1 SC/DD Cabover Tractor
This one’s for all you big rig enthusiasts out there – the AMT White Freightliner 2-in-1 SC/DD Cabover Tractor is a must-have for your collection! This 1/25 scale model is perfect for experienced builders and can be built either a single drive/day cab or dual-drive/sleeper cab version. It features chrome parts, including wheels, and comes with all-new decal artwork with authentic Ned Bard & Son logos. Plus, it’s packaged in special 75th-anniversary packaging!
- Comes with many chrome parts, including wheels
- Includes two model variants in the kit, single-drive or double-drive
- Includes Ned Bard logos and stripe graphics
- Instructions are not very clear
Lockheed F-16CJ (Block 50)
The Lockheed F-16CJ (Block 50) TAMIYA America, Inc 1/48 is a must-have for any aircraft enthusiast. This model is detailed and comes with moveable stabilizers and a full ordnance load. The centerline and inner wing pylons and the tail assembly feature poly caps to allow for easy detachment, making it easy to store when not in use.
- A very accurate representation of the aircraft, from the curved form to the shape of the stabilizers
- It has a wide variety of ordnance and other parts that can be modeled on it and a depiction of a pilot figure
- Detailed markings for 3 different aircraft, including one based at Misawa airbase in 2005
- Comes with clear instructions and assembly diagrams
- Parts are often challenging to detach if you’re not careful when a model is taken apart for storage or shipping to prevent possible damage
Revell 03874 1:32 Fw190 A-8 'Rammjäger' Plastic Model Kit
With this highly detailed model kit, you can build your own replica of the Fw190 A-8 ‘Rammjäger’. The kit includes a faithful reproduction of the original design and step-by-step illustrated instructions. Plus, there’s a decal set included to help you personalize your creation. Whether you’re a seasoned model builder or just starting out, this product is sure to provide hours of fun and excitement.
- Highly detailed model kit
- Faithful reproduction of the original design
- Step by step illustrated instruction manual
- Decal set included
- It can be a challenge to complete, particularly the engine and other fiddly areas
Germany B-17F Memphis Belle
Introducing our newest bomber model, the Germany B-17F Memphis Belle. This incredibly detailed replica is perfect for both collectors and enthusiasts alike. This model is just like the real thing, featuring four radial engines, a rotating mg turret, and a tail-end mg. Plus, it comes with decal sets for two different U.S.A.A.F versions of the Memphis Belle. So don’t miss out on this incredible replica aircraft!
- Detailed radial engines
- Rotating mg turret
- Tail-end mg
- Four bombs
- Bomb bay racks
- Detailed cockpit with consoles and an instrument panel
- Individual seats
- Detailed radio
- Too much time spent on details inside the plane that are not seen once the fuselage is assembled
This F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter model kit is perfect for beginners and experienced builders alike. The easy-to-follow color instructions make it easy to put together, and the pilot figure adds an extra level of realism. Plus, the parts are easy to sand and paint, so you can create a truly unique masterpiece. Just be careful with the clear plastic canopy – it can be tricky to fit into place.
- The details are amazing
- Comes with the pilot
- Durable and will not break easily
- Some of the pieces needed some sanding to get them to fit together properly
Germany Naval Submarine Type VIIC / 41
This awesome, top-of-the-line U-boat submarine kit is sure to thrill and excite anyone who loves naval history or RC model enthusiasts. It was recently featured in a heavily discounted offer on Amazon and is definitely worth the purchase price. You’ll get a 1-meter long replica of the famous Germany Type VIIC / 41 subs, complete with all the detailing add-ons you could want, like a wooden deck and brass photo-etchings. Plus, it’s easy to assemble without any glues or paints needed – amazing!
- Beautiful design and detailing
- A large model that is impressive once built
- Many extras included in the kit
- Great value for money
- Requires a lot of time and effort to build
German Submarine Type IX C U67/U154
This is a great model kit for anyone with some experience in model building. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow, and the end result is a really impressive replica of a German submarine. This would be a great project for anyone who wants to relax and take their time, and it’s also suitable for ages 12 and up. So dive into this kit today and see what you can create!
- Very detailed model kit
- Precise and provides good instructions
- It can be built into 2 different models
- Suitable for ages 12 and up
U-Boat XXI Type w. Interieur
This cool U-Boat XXI Type w. Interieur Model Kit is perfect for submarine enthusiasts of all levels of experience. The high-quality plastic parts are easy to assemble and come with detailed instructions, so you can create a realistic replica of this WWII submarine. You’ll love showing off your finished product!
- The interior is nicely detailed
- The Model is historically accurate, with the lights and gauges being very believable
- The exterior of the Model has some lights that are very cool at night
- The instructions are difficult to follow. A lot of steps are not clear, which makes construction really challenging
Tamiya Models M1A2 SEP Abrams Tusk II
Put together an M1A2SEP Abrams Tusk II today and recreate the latest combat used in Iraq! This kit will give you a replica of our country’s workhorse tank with all the addons that increase fighting. It’s 1/35 scale for easy display, too.
- It is flash-free and well-engineered
- The figures are lifelike and in scale in modern uniforms
- Kits are well researched and fall together with minimal fit issues
- It will also provide a great start for the super detailer
- Lacking detail in many areas
- Plastic mesh for the rear turret baskets, which is fiddly to assemble
- You’ll need to remove quite a few sink marks on the plastic parts
T-90 Russian Main Battle Tank 1/35
The T-90 Russian Main Battle Tank is a historic 2007 release. if you want a large-scale and intricate metal kit with rare parts for intermediate and advanced builders that will look great on your shelf, then this is the tank for you!
- Detailed and challenging kit
- There are many small parts, mostly for the turret
- To intermediate and advanced builders
- The parts are very spread out on the molded part, and you have to search for them at every step
- Poor faint instructions
- Hard to read faint drawing
- Corners badly warped out of shape
US Tank M4A3E8 Sherman Easy Eight
This Tank is a breeze to put together – the slide molded turret and upper hull parts make for an easy assembly, and the highly realistic detail levels are unmatched. You’ll love the cast metal turret and welded hull surface textures, as well as the sharp, detailed molding on engine grilles and exhausts. Plus, the numerous accessories depicted by the kit are all recreated with amazing accuracy. The included belt-type tracks are extremely realistic and give you a true-to-life tank experience.
- The tracks are very easy to assemble and look realistic
- The drive sprockets have fine holes, which add to the realism
- The clear parts are well made and look great
- A commander figure is provided, which gives the tank a more realistic look
- Some of the parts are very small and can be difficult to assembly properly
Ford 1965 Mustang V8 Engine
This 200-piece Ford Mustang V8 engine model kit is a great gift for any car lover or gearhead. With no glue required and easy assembly, it’s the perfect way to learn about how a classic v8 American muscle car engine works. The sound module with the first-gen Ford Mustang V8 engine sound makes it even more fun to put together, and the transparent engine model lets you see all the moving parts in action.
- 200-part model engine kit
- No glue required assembly
- Sound module with first-gen Ford Mustang V8 engine sound
- Transparent engine model
- Complete with exclusive collector’s manual
- Motor model assembly only takes a couple hours
Franzis Porsche 911 Boxer Engine
Take a peek inside the inner workings of one of the most iconic engines in automotive history with this Franzis Porsche 911 Boxer Engine Model Kit. The clear casing lets you see everything in action, while the electronic sound module gives you an authentic boxer engine sound experience. 290 pieces mean no glue is required for assembly – it’s easy to put together just like the real thing! This makes for a great collector’s item for any Porsche fan with all tools included.
- Full detail/scale model
- Everything moves like the original
- Specially commissioned and written by The Porsche Museum in Stuttgart
- Electronic sound module with genuine boxer engine sound
- The instructions are a little difficult to follow
Star Wars Han Solo Millennium Falcon
With this Millennium Falcon construction kit, you can build your own replica of the Corellian transporter from Star Wars. It’s easy to assemble and comes with all the pieces you need, including a rotating sensor. Plus, it looks great next to your other sci-fi models.
- The kit is easy to assemble
- It looks fantastic once it is completed
- The color might not be perfect for everyone
AT-AT Star Wars model kit is perfect for aspiring builders aged 10 and up. This plastic building toy is made in Germany and compatible with all other major brands with easy-to-follow instructions. Build your own AT-AT Walker and tower over your opponents in any galaxy!
- It’s really imposing and towers over other models on the table
- You can use it as a shield for your models
- The paint job is done nicely, and there’s a lot of detail put into this model
- It takes a long time to assemble and paint
Metal Earth 3D Model Kits Star Wars
Looking for a unique and immersive way to experience the world of Star Wars? Look no further than Metal Earth 3D Model Kits! These kits allow you to build highly detailed models of four iconic vehicles from the franchise – Snowspeeder, Imperial Shuttle, Slave 1, and AT-ST – without needing any glue or solder. Plus, they’re perfect for ages 14 and up, so anyone can participate.
- Metal material gives a nice and professional touch
- Different difficulty levels
- It can be assembled without glue or solder
- Some pieces are tiny and can be difficult to work with for people with small hands
This isn’t some cheap, flimsy plastic model kit. This is a high-quality, deluxe set that will let you build your own U.S.S. Voyager starship! The detailed instructions are multilingual, so everyone can join in the fun, and it’s a great project for all ages. Plus, at this awesome price, you can’t go wrong!
- Comes with many pieces to build
- Good parts detail
- Great for the Star Trek fan
- Some parts are difficult to assemble, which can be frustrating
U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701
The U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 kit is perfect for Star Trek fans of all ages! With 91 pieces, it’s easy to assemble, and once you’re done, the finished product measures 58.8 cm in length. No matter who you are or where you’re from, this Enterprise model kit is sure to please!
- The level of detail is high, making it a great replica of the ship
- It is easy to assemble, with clear instructions and no problems with fit
- The finished model is a good size
- Some parts are quite fragile, so care must be taken when assembling and painting
- There is no stand included, so you will need to provide your own
MG Gundam Kai Model Kit
Gundam fans rejoice! Bandai Hobby’s MG Gundam Kai kit is a must-have. This easy-to-snap together model is molded in separate colors and requires minimal to no paint, making it great for beginners. And with its incredible level of detail, this Gundam is sure to impress even the most experienced modelers.
- Incredible level of detail
- Comes with a ton of extra parts and accessories
- Extremely easy to put together
- Some pieces are too loose
- Decals are difficult to place
Bandai Hobby RG 1/144 Unicorn Gundam UC
Introducing the Bandai Hobby RG 1/144 Unicorn Gundam UC! This amazing gunpla is made with the latest technology and design and features an advanced Ms joint for a smooth transformation into destroy mode. Plus, it comes with the official Bluefin logo to ensure its authenticity. Perfect for intermediate builders.
- It looks awesome
- Nice joint articulation
- Mostly a solid figure
- Mostly color accurate
- Transformation is not as hard as it looks
- Panel lines really give a nice detail
- Some stickers don’t fit exactly
- The V fin that can transform is extremely fragile
- Gold stickers for the V fin can scratch up really easy
- Some joints are a bit too tight
Instrument 3D Metal
This set includes five different kits: a grand piano, bass fiddle, drum set, electric bass guitar, and electric lead guitar. The pieces are made from steel sheets and easily assembled using tabs and holes. Plus, there’s no need for glue or solder! The included instructions are easy to follow and make for a fun (and musical) afternoon project.
- They are fun to put together
- They look nice when put together
- The instruments themselves seem sturdy when complete
- The stands are very thin pieces of metal (as are the rest of the pieces)
- Once you have bent the pieces into place, they are difficult to fix
P-51D Mustang Sweet Arlene 3D Metal
Welcome to the world of 3D metal modeling! This P-51D Mustang Sweet Arlene kit is a challenging but rewarding build. No glue or solder is needed – just pop out the pieces and connect using tabs and holes. The highly detailed etched model makes for a beautiful display when completed.
- Detailed etched guide
- Fun challenge
- No glue or solder needed
- From steel sheets to 3D
- A little hard to assemble for a beginner
- Tweezers are recommended over fingers
Mars Rover 3D
If you’re looking for a fun, challenging, and rewarding project, look no further than the Mars Rover 3D Metal Model Kit! This intricately designed model is made of steel sheets and can be assembled without glue or solder. Plus, it’s perfect for ages 14 and up.
- The kit is very well-made and comes with a lot of pieces
- Assembly is relatively easy, even for beginners
- Some of the pieces are very small and can be easily lost
Looking for a nifty new puzzle to keep you entertained? Look no further than the Wooden Puzzles Marble Run! This cool contraption is made out of 294 pieces of wood and 10 marbles and comes with an easy-to-follow instruction booklet. Plus, it’s even got a metal nameplate and acrylic pieces to make the finished product more visually interesting.
- Beautiful design
- It can be put on a bookshelf
- Can be expensive
Amaze your friends and family with this unique 3D Wooden Gramophone Puzzle. This fully-functional record player is made out of wood and is a great way to show off your crafting skills. With two modes of operation – hand crank or electric – it’s perfect for playing your favorite vinyl records. Plus, everything you need to get started is included in the box!
- Comes with cutting technology, no burrs, smooth wooden sheets
- It supports 7″ and 10″ diameter vinyl records
- It has two modes, hand crank and electric
- It comes as a 3D puzzle of 424 pieces
- No battery or glue needed
- It will take about 10 hours to finish
Miniart MIN72033 Model Kit
This Medieval Miniature fortress is the perfect way to add some medieval flavor to your tabletop gaming. It’s also a great addition to any diorama or display. With its high-quality construction and attention to detail, it’s perfect for any fan of medieval times.
- The size is perfect for tabletop displays
- It makes a great gift for history lovers
- It’s easy to assemble with easy instructions, even for beginners
- The small size allows you to put it on your desk or shelf
- It can be difficult to paint the pieces if you’re not experienced with painting miniatures
With this medieval castle kit from MiniArt, you can experience the excitement and challenge of constructing your own model! This high-quality and accurate kit is on a 1/72 scale and requires construction using paints and glue (not included). Instructions are included. Once completed, the castle will be about six inches tall. Perfect for history buffs or anyone interested in models, this kit is sure to provide hours of enjoyment.
- High-quality and accurate kits
- Instructions included
- Requires construction, paints, and glue
Notre Dame de Paris Church
Looking for a challenging 3D puzzle? Notre Dame de Paris is perfect! This 293-piece set gives you an awe-inspiring replica of the famous French gothic church. With its openable wall, you can display the entire interior of the model – including the beautiful rose windows. Plus, it makes a great centerpiece for your home or office when assembled. So put on your thinking cap and get to puzzling!
- Challenging assembling process
- Gorgeous rose windows
- It can be used as a centerpiece for home or office
- Some pieces may be difficult to fit together correctly
Arckit 360 Architect Model
Arckit 360 Architect Model Building Kit is the perfect way to explore your architectural creativity. With 610 pieces included, you’ll be able to build an impressive model in no time. The best part? You can add other Arckit system component packs or sets to increase your build capabilities. Plus, the free online access to Arckit tools will help you create even more detailed and realistic models.
- The products are durable and will last for quite some time
- They are easy to use, even for beginners. Everything is clearly labeled, and instructions are very clear
- Excellent price point – if you want to assemble your own model kit, this product is worth it because it has everything you need (and more)
- Instructions are only in English; it would be nice to include them in other languages too
- Plastic material only available in one color (white)
3D Westeros and Essos Globe
The Westeros and Essos Globe Puzzle is the perfect way to explore the Game of Thrones world. This officially licensed product is made with 540 slightly curved plastic pieces, and when completed, the globe measures 9-inches in diameter. The included display stand makes it easy to show off your puzzle skills, and the Westeros and Essos map is perfect for any die-hard fan. Intended for ages 14 and up.
- The detailed 3D image of Westeros and Essos is striking
- The completed puzzle measures 9 inches, so it’s not too big
- It’s a great conversation starter for Game of Thrones fans
- You have to have 540 pieces, so it can be challenging to put together