I’m a huge fan of miniature models. I love the detail and complexity that goes into them. So when I was looking for a new airbrush compressor, I did a lot of research to make sure I got the best one for my needs.
After reading through dozens of reviews, I finally decided on “Master Airbrush Cool Runner”. It had great reviews from people who used it to paint miniature models, so I knew it would be perfect for me.[best_choice amz_url=”https://amzn.to/3txzfba” img_url=”https://bestscalemodel.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Master-Airbrush-Cool-Runner-II-Dual-Fan-Air-Tank-Compressor-System-Kit.jpg” best_name=”Master Airbrush Cool Runner II Dual Fan Air Tank Compressor System Kit” sub_name=”Master Airbrush” best_text=”Great for hobbies, crafts, auto graphics, temporary tattoos, cake decorating, fine art, nail art, and more!
- Dual cooling fans keep the compressor running cooler for a longer time;
- Large 3-liter air storage tank allows for constant air pressure and zero pulsation;
- 0.2, 0.3, and 0.5mm tips allow this airbrush to be used for various applications;
- Comes with a 1-year warranty on the airbrush and a 5-year warranty on the compressor.
Top Airbrush Compressor – Comparison Table
After much thought and research, I have compiled my top eight airbrush compressors on the market today.
|Master Airbrush Cool Runner II Dual Fan Air Tank Compressor System Kit||
|Iwata-Medea Studio Series Ninja Jet Single Piston Air Compressor||
Great Starter Air Compressor
|Master Airbrush Multi-purpose Gravity Feed Dual-action Airbrush Kit||
|Master Airbrush Model TC-40T Air Compressor||
Best Cooling Fan
|Grex AC1810-A 1/8 HP 115V Portable Piston Air Compressor||
Best for Professionals
|HPDAVV Protable PCP Air Compressor - 12V / 250W - 30Mpa / 4500psi||
|Iwata-Medea Studio Series Smart Jet Pro Single Piston Air Compressor||
Best Beginner Set
|Master Airbrush Multi-Purpose Airbrushing System Kit||
Top Airbrush Compressor – Review
Each compressor has its own unique features, so be sure to read through my review carefully before making your decision. And if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me. I’m always happy to help!
1. Cool Runner II Dual Fan Air Tank Compressor System Kit – Best Overall[img_block amz_url=”https://amzn.to/3txzfba” img_url=”https://bestscalemodel.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Master-Airbrush-Cool-Runner-II-Dual-Fan-Air-Tank-Compressor-System-Kit.jpg” prod_name=”Cool Runner II Dual Fan Air Tank Compressor System Kit”]
With its multi-purpose design and precision dual-action gravity feed, you’ll achieve excellent results with ease. And don’t worry about overheating – the Cool Runner II comes equipped with two cooling fans that keep things running smoothly. The sizeable 3-liter air storage tank ensures constant air pressure without any pulsation. So whether you’re a beginner or a pro, this kit has everything you need to get started on your next masterpiece.
2. Iwata-Medea Studio Series Ninja Jet Single Piston Air Compressor – Higher Power[img_block amz_url=”https://amzn.to/3Nfytav” img_url=”https://bestscalemodel.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Iwata-Medea-Studio-Series-Ninja-Jet-Single-Piston-Air-Compressor.jpg” prod_name=”Medea Studio Series Ninja Jet Single Piston Air Compressor”]
The Iwata-Medea Studio Series Ninja Jet Single Piston Air Compressor is excellent for any airbrush artist. This zero-maintenance, an oil-less piston air compressor is built to last and includes a high-strength polyurethane hose that fits Iwata airbrushes. The built-in airbrush holder and carrying handle make it easy to take this compressor anywhere.
3. Master Airbrush Multi-purpose Gravity Feed Dual-action Airbrush Kit – Great Starter Air Compressor[img_block amz_url=”https://amzn.to/3IDinE4″ img_url=”https://bestscalemodel.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Master-Airbrush-Multi-purpose-Gravity-Feed-Dual-action-Airbrush-Kit.jpg” prod_name=”Master Airbrush Multi-purpose Gravity Feed Dual-action Airbrush Kit”]
The Master Airbrush Multi-purpose Gravity Feed Dual-action Airbrush Kit is perfect for precision airbrushing. With a 1/3 oz. A Gravity fluid cup and a 0.3mm fluid tip provide the user with superior control and accuracy. Additionally, the premium 1/5 hp air compressor ensures consistent results and prevents overloading of the airbrush. The kit also comes with an airbrush holder for two airbrushes, making it the perfect choice for those who want to use multiple airbrushes at once.
4. Master Airbrush Model TC-40T Air Compressor – Editor’s Choice[img_block amz_url=”https://amzn.to/3tyw82H” img_url=”https://bestscalemodel.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Master-Airbrush-Model-TC-40T-Air-Compressor.jpg” prod_name=”Master Airbrush Model TC-40T Air Compressor”]
The Master Airbrush Model TC-40T Air Compressor is a professional quality airbrush kit perfect for severe airbrushers. Its advanced technology single-piston compressor and built-in cooling fan have a longer duty cycle than other airbrushes, meaning it can run for longer without overheating. The air storage tank allows the airbrush to be delivered with constant pressure and zero pulsation, making it perfect for spraying paint, ink, dye, or other liquids. The kit also comes with a five-year warranty, ensuring that you’ll enjoy its quality and reliability for years to come.
5. Grex AC1810-A 1/8 HP 115V Portable Piston Air Compressor – Best Cooling Fan[img_block amz_url=”https://amzn.to/3qtVQne” img_url=”https://bestscalemodel.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Grex-AC1810-A-1-8-HP-115V-Portable-Piston-Air-Compressor.jpg” prod_name=”Grex AC1810-A 1/8 HP 115V Portable Piston Air Compressor”]
The Grex AC1810-A 1/8 HP 115V Portable Piston Air Compressor is perfect for the professional artist who demands high performance and convenience. The oil-less piston design means low maintenance operation, while the retractable handle stows away when not needed. The compressor also features an automatic shut-off to save power, and a quiet operation that allows use in any setting. An integrated airbrush holder provides convenient access to and storage of your airbrush.
6. HPDAVV Protable PCP Air Compressor – 12V / 250W – 30Mpa / 4500psi – Best for Professionals[img_block amz_url=”https://amzn.to/3LcOv3h” img_url=”https://bestscalemodel.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/HPDAVV-Protable-PCP-Air-Compressor-12V-250W-30Mpa-4500psi.jpg” prod_name=”HPDAVV Protable PCP Air Compressor”]
Check out the HPDAVV Protable PCP Air Compressor. This little powerhouse is perfect for filling air tanks up to 0.45L, making it great for use with PCP air guns and other smaller devices. The compact size and lightweight design make it easy to carry, and the 12V DC power options mean you can use it in your car or any other location with a 12V power source. Add one of these handy compressors to your kit and enjoy the convenience of being able to fill your tanks wherever you are.
7. Iwata-Medea Studio Series Smart Jet Pro Single Piston Air Compressor – Best Performance[img_block amz_url=”https://amzn.to/3LiIIZR” img_url=”https://bestscalemodel.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Iwata-Medea-Studio-Series-Smart-Jet-Pro-Single-Piston-Air-Compressor.jpg” prod_name=”Iwata-Medea Studio Series Smart Jet Pro Single Piston Air Compressor”]
The Iwata-Medea Studio Series Smart Jet Pro Single Piston Air Compressor is the perfect way to power your airbrush. This compressor has a 1/8 hp motor and can produce pressures up to 35 PSI, making it an excellent choice for any artist. It also features an adjustable air pressure gauge and moisture filter to keep your workflow consistent. The all-metal case with a carrying handle makes it easy to take your compressor.
8. Master Airbrush Multi-Purpose Airbrushing System Kit – Best Beginner Set[img_block amz_url=”https://amzn.to/3wwBdKY” img_url=”https://bestscalemodel.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Master-Airbrush-Multi-Purpose-Airbrushing-System-Kit.jpg” prod_name=”Master Airbrush Multi-Purpose Airbrushing System Kit”]
Look no further than the Master Airbrush Multi-Purpose Airbrushing System Kit. This professional-grade airbrush system comes with the Model G22 Multi-Purpose High-Performance Precision Airbrush, which features a 1/3 oz. gravity fluid cup and a 0.3mm fluid tip. The 6-foot braided air hose with 1/8″ fittings makes it easy to use, while the Master Airbrush C16-B Black Mini Air Compressor provides reliable and consistent pressure. The built-in airbrush holder is perfect for keeping your airbrush within reach.
What To Consider When Buying
When choosing an airbrush compressor, there are a few key factors you’ll want to keep in mind.
Here are a few of the most important things to look for:
Air Capacity & Pressure Range
The first thing you’ll want to consider is the compressor’s air capacity and pressure range.
This will determine how much air your compressor can store and how much pressure it can generate.
You’ll want to make sure that your compressor can handle the amount of air you need and the type of airbrush you plan on using.
Another essential factor to consider is pressure adjustability.
Some compressors have a fixed air output, while others allow you to adjust the pressure.
If you plan to use your airbrush for different purposes, or if you want more control over your airbrush, you’ll want to look for a compressor with adjustable pressure.
You might also like our article “The Best Airbrush for Miniatures & Models“.
If you plan to use your airbrush compressor for extended periods, you’ll want to look for a model with a storage tank.
A storage tank allows the compressor to store air so that it doesn’t have to work as hard to generate pressure.
This is especially important if you plan to use your airbrush for long periods or live in an area with a lot of power outages.
Size & Weight
Another thing to consider is the size and weight of the compressor.
If you plan on using your airbrush compressor in a small space, or if you need to be able to move it around quickly, then you’ll want to look for a compact model.
Similarly, if you need a powerful compressor that can handle large projects, you’ll look for a heavier-duty model.
Moisture Traps & Filters
The thing to consider is moisture traps and filters.
If you live in a humid area or plan on using your airbrush compressor for extended periods, you’ll want to look for a model with a moisture trap.
This will help ensure that your airbrush doesn’t get clogged with moisture and that your paint job turns out perfect every time.
Ease Of Use & Maintenance
Want to consider ease of use and maintenance.
Some airbrush compressors are easier to use than others, and some require less maintenance.
If you’re new to using an airbrush compressor, you’ll want to look for a model that is easy to use and doesn’t require much maintenance.
On the other hand, if you’re an experienced user, you may not mind a little bit of upkeep.
Finally, you’ll want to consider the noise level of the compressor.
Some compressors are very quiet, while others can be pretty loud.
If you need a quiet compressor for use in a studio or office, you’ll want to look for a model with a low noise level.
However, if you don’t mind a little bit of noise, you can choose any compressor that suits your needs.
Keep these factors in mind when shopping for an airbrush compressor, and you’ll be sure to find the perfect model for your needs.
Airbrush Compressor Buyers Guide
You’ll want to look for a few key factors when purchasing an airbrush compressor.
Here are the most important things to keep in mind:
Types of Airbrush Compressors
While there are many different airbrush compressors on the market, they can generally be classified into one of two categories: piston or diaphragm.
- Piston compressors are the more affordable option, but they tend to be louder and less reliable than diaphragm compressors.
- Diaphragm compressors are more expensive, but they’re much quieter and durable.
When choosing an airbrush compressor, it’s essential to consider what you’ll be using it for. If you plan on using your airbrush compressor for light-duty tasks like painting models or applying makeup, a piston compressor will probably suffice. However, if you need a heavy-duty compressor for tasks like auto bodywork or industrial painting, you’ll need to invest in a diaphragm compressor.
Tank Airbrush Compressor Units
As the name suggests, tank airbrush compressors have an air storage tank. This is beneficial because the compressor does not have to run continuously to maintain pressure. This results in a steadier flow of air and also reduces noise levels. Tank compressors are available in both portable and stationary models.
- Portable airbrush compressors are ideal for those who want the convenience of being able to take their compressor with them. These models are usually small and lightweight, making them easy to transport.
- Stationary airbrush compressors are a good choice for those who have a dedicated workspace. These units are generally larger and more powerful than portable models, meaning they can handle more strenuous tasks. However, they are not as easily transportable as mobile units.
Tankless DUAL Pistons Airbrush Compressors
The tankless DUAL PISTONS Airbrush Compressor is an excellent choice for those who need an airbrush compressor that can do it all! This versatile compressor can be used for various tasks, from general airbrushing to more specific applications like tattooing and cake decorating. The DUAL PISTONS Airbrush Compressor is also an excellent choice for those who need an airbrush compressor that is portable and easy to store.
On-Demand Airbrush Compressors
On-demand airbrush compressors are designed only to start running when you need them to. This can save you a lot of money on your electric bill and prolong the life of your compressor. On-demand compressors usually have a small tank that stores compressed air, so it’s ready to go when you are.
If you’re looking for an on-demand airbrush compressor, the Iwata Smart Jet Pro is a great option. It’s hushed and has adjustable pressure, making it perfect for use in any situation. Another great thing about this compressor is its automatic shut-off feature, so it will turn itself off when not in use.
The Grex AC is an excellent option for something a little more budget-friendly. It doesn’t have as many features as the Iwata, but it’s still a great compressor. It has an adjustable pressure knob and a tank capacity of 0.75 liters.
Air Regulators vs. Bleed Valves
When choosing an airbrush compressor, you’ll want to decide whether you want an air regulator or a bleed valve.
- Air regulators are typically more expensive, but they offer more precise control over air pressure.
- Bleed valves are less expensive and easier to use, but they can be less precise.
If you’re starting with airbrushing, we recommend getting a bleed valve. Once you get more experienced, you can upgrade to an air regulator if you want more precision.
You might also like our article “The Guide to Choosing the Right Airbrush Compressor“.
FAQs about Airbrush Compressor
What is the best airbrush brand?
A few different brands make great airbrushes, but my favorite is Iwata. Their airbrushes are well-made and produce great results.
What PSI should I use for airbrushing?
The PSI you use will depend on the medium you’re airbrushing. You’ll want to use a lower PSI (around 15-20). You’ll want to use a higher PSI (approximately 30-35).
What size airbrush should I get?
Again, this will depend on the medium you’re using. If you’re only going to be working with small areas, then a smaller airbrush is fine. But if you plan on working with larger sizes, you’ll need a larger airbrush.
Do I need an air compressor?
Yes, to use an airbrush, you’ll need an air compressor. The type of compressor you need will depend on the type of airbrush you have. If you have a small airbrush, then a tiny compressor is OK. But if you have a large airbrush, you’ll need a larger compressor.
What size tank do I need?
The size of the tank will depend on the size of the compressor. A small compressor can usually get by with a small tank, but a large compressor will need a larger tank.
Can I use an airbrush without a compressor?
No, it would help if you had an airbrush compressor to use an airbrush. The compressor provides the air pressure that is necessary to operate the airbrush.
Do I need an oil-free compressor?
If you’re going to be using your airbrush for tasks like painting or tattooing, we recommend getting an oil-free compressor. This will ensure no oil residue is left behind on your work.
What is a dual-action airbrush?
A dual-action airbrush is an airbrush that can spray both horizontal and vertical lines. This makes it versatile and perfect for detailed work.
So, there you have it! I top pick for the best airbrush compressors on the market today. I hope that our reviews and buying guide have helped you narrow down your choices and find the perfect compressor for your needs.
Hi! I'm Richard Baker, a miniature painter who has been painting for about ten years. My website is packed with great advice that I've learned from both books and personal experience on building and painting miniatures.