Do you love playing Dungeons and Dragons? Well, we’ve got some excellent news for you! There are a ton of new DnD character creators out there that will let you build your own adventurer from scratch. Whether you’re looking for a new race or want to try a different class, these tools will have you covered. Many of them also come with printable character sheets and other goodies. Check them out below!
These Dungeons & Dragons character generators will have you creating a new TTRPG hero in no time, with class, race, and character sheets.
Character Generator Cheatsheet
|Dungeon Master’s Vault||
|Fight Club 5th Edition||
|Who the F**k is my DnD Character?||
|5e Companion App||
|LitRPG Adventures: D&D Backstory Generator||
9 D&D Character Generators – Pros and Cons
If you’re new to D&D or need a character sheet quickly, there are plenty of tools to help you. You can find printable character sheets online or use apps and software to create your character. Make sure you have everything ready before sitting with your dungeon master at the table. Below are 9 character builders I can recommend, each with its own pros and cons.
D&D Beyond’s integrated character creator is the most comprehensive option. It has many choices and guidance, and you can customize your character. This option is free to use and includes all of the 5th edition material available to the public.
All classes, including the Artificer, are now available for free. You can also choose from many different races, including some that are not usually available.
Click the link if you love DnD miniatures.
Suppose you want to use material from other D&D sourcebooks. In that case, somebody in your D&D Beyond campaign needs to buy the sourcebook and share it with the rest of the party. But D&D Beyond’s character creator is still a good option even if you don’t want to spend money.
The game is easy to use. You can use tooltips to help you make choices. You can also choose the level of detail for your game. The computer will take care of the rules for you.
If you are new to D&D, you can quickly use the Quick Build feature to create a character. Select a class, pick a race, and choose a name. That’s it! This is perfect for rapidly starting roleplaying.
- Exportable character sheets
- Numerous classes, backgrounds, and feats
- Free for up to 6 characters
- Has a special mode for new players
- Slower than other quick character generators
Dungeon Master’s Vault
The Dungeon Master’s Vault is not as complete as D&D Beyond, but it can be helpful for players who know what they’re doing. It is convenient for homebrewers because it lets them easily add custom subclasses, races, and backgrounds.
The guide also provides short descriptions of each option and their influence on your characters’ stats. This information will come in handy if you are playing a class or race that you are unfamiliar with.
This character creator is different because it builds your character as you make choices. For example, if you choose a skill, you can see how that will change your abilities and modifiers. This is helpful if you have a specific character in mind or want to make the most efficient character possible.
The “character builder for newbies” option is good for people new to D&D. It helps by replacing all the usual D&D jargon with several generic questions. This way, you don’t need to know anything about D&D to use it. You can just pick some general character cues that sound like fun, and it will do the leg work for you.
- Good for homebrewing
- Allows multiclassing, spell selection, custom feats, & custom backgrounds
- Feats & Backgrounds must be manually inserted
If you want to create a character quickly, easily, and without making any mistakes, use Fast Character. This website is designed for creating D&D characters. It is very fast and easy to use.
To make a character sheet, use the dropdown menus to select all the essentials. Add any feats your character has acquired, and write some roleplaying notes if you’re inclined. Your character’s statistics will be calculated on your sheet by default. Fast Character isn’t meant to track development or walk you through the generation process.
Suppose you know about D&D or have the Player’s Handbook in front of you. In that case, Fast Character is a useful way to create your character digitally. But it’s not great for learning how to do so, and it’s not beginner-friendly.
Fast Character is a good way to quickly create a digital sheet for a new or existing character. It includes many subclasses outside the PHB, but some restrictions exist. For example, it can’t cope with multiclassing and won’t display a spell list for any magic users. So you’ll need to keep track of these elsewhere.
- Generates characters within seconds
- No multi-classing support
- Limited control over how characters are created
Fight Club 5th Edition
It can be helpful to have a portable D&D character sheet. You don’t have to carry a laptop to read your character stats. You can use your phone instead. This will be handy if you need to look something up during your weekly roleplaying session. And if someone sees you using your phone, they will be amazed by how well you have optimised your Sorlock build.
We recommend the Fight Club 5th Edition app for creating your D&D character. It is smooth and easy to use, and it will help you create your character quickly. The app also includes a character sheet that is compact and easy to use. You can also use the app to roll dice. It will automatically include all the relevant proficiencies and bonuses in the calculation.
Remember that the Fight Club 5th Edition app only includes material that is free to use under D&D’s Open Games License. This license does not include everything in the PHB, but the app does have a function to add your own content or download user-made resources online. A quick search will show you many resources for adding homebrew material to the app, so you should not be left wanting.
This is a handy tool if you know you’ll be playing D&D with several friends at different houses or game stores. You can pack everything you need on your phone to play wherever and whenever.
- Easily create a character sheet
- Interactive character sheet
- Track stats, equipment, and spell slots
- Dice roller function
- Does not include the full PHB
- Can only add homebrew material with additional resources
Who the F**k is my DnD Character?
Who the f**k is my DnD Character is not a normal character creator. It doesn’t create a character sheet for you and won’t teach you how to fill one out. It just gives you random, funny, and often cheeky character descriptions, which can be used to help you build your character. This is perfect if hours of adventuring have sucked all the roleplaying imagination from your brain.
Some of the backgrounds it provides are:
- A dwarf fighter from the Salt Flats always wanted to be an artist.
- A Gnome Monk from a poorly run orphanage has gotten into trouble with the wrong people.
- There is a Halfling Sorcerer from a poor dairy farm who doesn’t speak a word of common.
Creating a well-balanced character is important. However, if you do not have a good roleplaying foundation, your character will not be fun to play.
- Silly but often useful character descriptions
- It can be entertaining to use in moments when you lack inspiration for your character
- Can add some fun roleplaying elements to your game
- Won’t give you a complete character sheet
- It is missing some important information (like class and race) that you’ll need to create your character.
What do you think is better than Pathfinder or D&D?
5e Companion App
The 5e companion app is good for both beginners and experienced players. It travels with you on your phone and has a lot of customization options.
Suppose you want the convenience of keeping your character information, notes, and experiments on your phone. In that case, 5e Companion App should be on your home screen.
- Phone App
- Allows multiclassing & levelling-up
- Supports a large menu of classes, races
- Easy to use
- The app travels with you on your phone, making it convenient to access and use.
- There are many classes and races to choose from, making it a good option for both beginners and experienced players.
- The interface is easy to use, making it a good choice for people new to tabletop RPGs.
- Some features, like multiclassing and levelling up, are not as in-depth as they could be.
- Cannot export printable character sheets
Aidnd is a great character builder for new players. It helps players make choices that are important for their character. If you have time to help new players, this is your builder.
- Aidnd is simple and easy to use, making it perfect for new players.
- The program provides various helpful options for players, including class, race, and character sheets.
- The program does not allow for much customization, which may limit some players.
Even though a character is more than just the numbers in their stat block, sometimes you need to crunch those numbers quickly. Ninetails do not export character sheets; characters are capped at level 1. However, this character builder allows you to generate a usable stat block in seconds.
Ninetails is a great place to start for newer players, especially if you want them to jump right into a game without using pregens. With that said, Ninetails is especially useful for GMs who find themselves building low-level characters often.
- Efficient character creation that is great for new players or low-level games.
- Can create a new character in seconds
- Very useful for DM’s
- Characters are capped at level 1
- Sheets and exports are not available
LitRPG Adventures: D&D Backstory Generator
If you want to build your own character sheet or get inspired to create a character, LitRPG Adventures is a great option. This generator uses the GPT-3 API, the world’s largest language model.
This generator is perfect for DM’s because it can create spells, quests, maps, and shops. However, there is a downside- it requires a subscription. If you want to try it out first, you can pay a one-time fee to use the sampler option. If you use generators frequently and are looking for something that does many things well, this generator may be a good choice.
- Can generate characters, backstories, spells, quests, and more
- Large language model that makes it perfect for DM’s
- The sampler option allows you to test the generator for a one-time fee
- Requires subscription
- No multi-classing support
- Does not generate a traditional character sheet
- Paid subscription (offers a one-time fee sampler)
Building a new character can be hard for new players and annoying for game masters. But luckily, there are character builders to help make this process easier. This takes some of the work off of you and frees up your time to do what is important: collecting dice.
FAQs about DnD Characters Creators
What is the best DnD character creator?
There is no “best” D&D character creator, as there are many different ways to create a character. Some people prefer to use the rules written in the Player’s Handbook. In contrast, others like to create more customized characters using online tools or other homebrew systems.
That said, some popular online D&D character creators include:
D&D Beyond (dndbeyond.com)
- A comprehensive online tool that includes all the rules for creating characters, along with a wealth of additional information on spells, monsters, and other game mechanics.
- Provides interactive character sheets that can be used during play sessions.
- Includes a built-in marketplace where players can buy and sell
Is there a free DnD character creator?
There are some free DnD character creation resources available online. Some popular options include websites like Roll20 and D&D Beyond, as well as character creation tools from the official Dungeons & Dragons website. In addition, many players find it helpful to use Excel spreadsheets or other programs to keep track of their character’s stats and progress. While there is no one “best” way to create a DnD character, taking advantage of free resources and using whatever method works best for you will help ensure that you end up with a character you’re happy with.
Is there a DnD character creator?
There are a few different ways to create a Dungeons and Dragons character. One way is to use the character builder on the Wizards of the Coast website.
Another way is to use an offline character builder, such as Charactermancer. This application can be used on a computer or mobile device.
Finally, you can also create a character by hand. This involves writing down all of your character’s information on paper.
Where can I design my DnD character?
There are a ton of great D&D character creators out there that can help you quickly and easily design a new TTRPG adventurer. Here are just a few of our favourites:
- The Character Creation Kit by Wizards of the Coast is an excellent, all-in-one tool for creating your character. It includes everything from class and race options to name generators and background information.
- The D&D Beyond Character Builder is another great option, especially if you’re already familiar with the D&D ruleset. You can input your stats, choose your class and race, select equipment, and more.
- The Dragon Age Inquisition Character Creator is an excellent option if you want something less serious. It’s perfect for creating wacky, over-the-top characters that will stand out in your next game.
Hi! I'm Richard Baker, a miniature painter who has been painting for about ten years. My website is packed with great advice that I've learned from both books and personal experience on building and painting miniatures.